An EMD F-7 slides through
the cut separating Shops from Union Station
These are freight only tracks that are Kayne
ave. yard lead known as the west end. The photo
is a sandwich of real sky with the model. Shops
is visible in the background. In real life,
there was two miles separating Shops from NUS.
The engine is a custom painted Athearn unit
with upgrades to the chassis.
Engine 576 is the NC’s most famous engine
in recent years as it is the only remaining steam
engine of the NC&StL. Here, scratch built 576
cruises on the eastbound main past Shops as a GP-7
sits on the ready track in Shops. Digital retouching
includes a real sky and smoke from another photo.
This engine began life as a brass table leg and represents
the way she looks today. Originally built as a “Yellow
Jacket” in 1942 (wide skirting and full nose
cone) she was simplified to a “stripe” for
easier running repairs.
If 576 were to be removed from Centennial Park
and restored, this is how an excursion train might
look someday in the future. The tank car carries
extra water since steam facilities along CSX RR are
long-gone. Notice that Union Station does not have
its train shed, this was torn down a few years ago
because of neglect and it burned.
At Shops during the so-called transition era
one could see steam and Diesel power mixed. The NC
was quick to Dieselize completely, the last steam
run a 2-8-0 number 406 in 1952. Many great young
steam engines were scrapped shortly thereafter. Engine
450 is a class H-7 2-8-0 built from a United B&O
Consolidation, EMD F-7 812 is a custom painted Athearn
that comprises one of ten units on the layout at
“Changing of the guard” is the title
of this photo as 812 stands in front of Nashville
Union Station shoulder to shoulder with 576. Space
constraints of model railroading put the east and
westbound mains (almost north and south geographically
here) directly next to the station. Unretouched photo.